Hi Dexen & Jos=E9,

>> Now if you access the array in a semi-random order, so-called `cache
>> trashing' will ensue. Pretty much like reading random data from the
>> harddrive (for example from swap). The CPU, starved of data, will
>> idle uselessly.

this is quite a low level detail and the effect on lists is the same.
The PicoLisp lists live on the heap which is an array of cells in the C
terms after all.  However, for lists this happens more often, depending
on how the list came into existence because the data will be quite
likely spread over many different memory pages.

> seem to favor arrays is not efficiency, but that some algorithms
> deeply wired into our brains are more clearly represented using arrays
> instead of single linked lists.

Agree, completely.

Cheers,

Tomas