Hello Richard,

It sounds like containers may be exactly what you want.  The same
development environment isolated from your host OS of choice.  Docker
containers run great on Linux and my understanding is that Windows is
gaining/already has better support than the past.  There's not much more
work to get persistent storage working, all the directions are in the links
I posted.  I hope that it can be useful to you.

-David