Yes, that was my point, I will be sticking with Github for some time
because of the social aspect, but I want to self host for other
reasons.

I don't think that Github's data mining or social features are
particularly disgusting. Due to the nature of what it is, and the data
that is provided to it, it cannot be as intrusive as most social
networks. I don't particularly care that it may get leaked that I code
mostly in C, and only star repositories with punny names.

My worry about Github is not this, but that Microsoft may attempt to
"streamline" the experience later, or change the featureset, require
ones that are relied upon to be paid for or whatever. This is not an
issue with Github right now, and it may not be an issue with Github in
the future, but it is a risk as Microsoft has done similar things with
Skype for example. This is one of the reasons why I will be switching to
self hosting and using Github as a mirror, as a backup in case the
features that I do use become unavailable in future.

At the end of the day, Github is still a great solution, a lot of people
are leaving it on principle, whether this is a sensible move or not is
for each person to weigh up, but there are plenty of options available.

Phil