----- Original Message -----
From: "Guy Glorieux" <guy.glori...@sympatico.ca>

> In French, gender is identified immediately with the person:  e.g. "the"
> teacher is either "le" or "la" professeur.  Then "his" or "her" students
> are gender neutral as "ses" étudiants (unless, of course there was only
> one student, in which case the student's gender would be clearly
> identified in it's own right as "son étudiant" or "son étudiante" while
> the possessive would still remain gender neutral as "son").

Spanish as another of the romance languages, follows the same pattern: "el
profesor" or "la profesor" and "sus estudiantes"

> Now in English, things go exactly in the opposite:

Which makes it difficult to for new speakers"

"I drive on the parkway and park on the driveway"
"I seed a fruit to remove its seeds"
"an alarm goes OFF when its electric circuit goes ON"

And to keep it in topic:

"I call them pinholes but I actually make them with needles"  :)

Guillermo