Hello Peter !

I join with Heidi for mentioning the special qualities of  Martin Evening's
book, "Photoshop for photographers"

Like you, I recently wished to make an approach of Photoshop, knowing that
my visual and technical universe is mostly traditional photography and that
I am not a  computer fanatic.
I took a long time for searching a "good" book which would allow a
photographic oriented approach of Photoshop, without forgetting B&W images.
I saw plenty of English or French written books and finally I stopped my
choice on Martin Evening's book.
My version is  "Photoshop 6 pour les Photographes" translated in French from
original Focal Press English version. At present time the Photoshop 7
translation does  not exist but it is of no importance since most of the
"spirit" of Photoshop is the same. The book contains a CD rom with some
pictures for exercises, tutorials, plugs ins. The author is himself an
English (London based)  photographer so that the content is very much in
correspondence with our photo preoccupations ; he studies in depth the
photographic uses of Photoshop amongst them B&W, image repairing, etc...

I've not yet finished to study it but I already learnt very useful features!

Peter, I presume there is not a Swedish translation but maybe you may find a
German version, or just stick to the English one  :-)

Happy pinholing to all,

 jean