From: pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????
[mailto:pinhole-discussion-admin@p at ???????]On Behalf Of Eric S. Theise
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 5:29 PM
To: pinhole-discussion@p at ???????
Subject: Re: [pinhole-discussion] used enlargers

Thanks for the tip, Andy, but I think you are missing my point.

Which is: the 4 x 5 enlargers I've used insist that 4 x 5 is the image
as framed in a negative carrier.  Once you get away from the negative
carrier, and try to print the whole negative, you'll find that the
diameter of the circular housing of the enlarger is too small to cover
the whole sheet, and you'll end up losing the corners of the negative.

At least that's been my experience on three different enlargers, and
I'm keen to know if there are 4 x 5 enlargers that have a large enough
head to encircle the whole 4 x 5 negative.

As to a carrier, I just got two sheets of glass, had the edges smoothed
out by the supplier, and hinged them with gaffers tape.  That part
worked fine.  I was just losing my corners (and my mind).

Another reason why digital is looking better and better.

Thanks, Eric