sell some blood & go with the epson!

michael_georg...@trendmicro.com wrote:

See, I just knew that the twice-or-three-times-as-expensive Epsons would be
suggested! Not that you're wrong about them, just that I am "resource
challenged" at present... (What about Canonscan scanners?  Anyone use 'em?)

While pondering flatbed scanners that will also do 35mm transparencies, I
happened to mention to a guy off-list that I might rather get a standard
flatbed scanner and figure out some way to turn off the internal light
source and use an external light source for transparency scans (which is all
that a flatbed with a transparency adaptor seems to do anyway, as far as I
can see).
They guy I was exchanging email with said "Many standard flatbed scanners
allow you to turn off the internal light by selecting transparency in the
Software (TWAIN driver). You can then cut a piece of cardboard to fit over
the scanner with a hole cut to the slide size and then place a light over
the slide."

This, I did not know.  I was all set to grab my screwdrivers, soldering
iron, Dremel and a switch... and here it might be doable in software.

Has anyone out there done this?  Anyone use the TWAIN transparency mode to
turn off internal illumination and then light transparencies or negs with
external illumination?  I figure there's be enough nuts & bolts hackers,
geeks and general DIY kinda folks on this this that someone may have tried
this...

Thanks,

Michael Georgoff
San Jose, CA