--- jack durrett <jd...@cox.net> wrote:
> Hi all.  I'm a newbie to the list and to pinhole but I've been eagerly
> reading the posts and picking up a few pointers.  However, I have a basic
> question.  I've made some pinhole cameras and taken some film pictures with
> each.  Now I'm wanting to use some photo paper instead.  I bought some Ilford
> 5x7 Multigrade IV RC Deluxe MGD.44M Pearl paper.  Apparently the back of the
> paper is too opaque to make contact prints.  What is the best paper for this?
>  Is paper comparable quality-wise (for the image) or should I stick to film?
> Sorry for so simple a question but even the best photog store here hasn't
> been much help.  (You should have seen the quizzical looks when I mentioned
> "pinhole".)  I figured I'd try paper after looking at an Oatmeal Box pinhole
> site.  http://www.nh.ultranet.com/~stewoody/  They used paper and the
> resulting contact prints looked good.  The pics look to be from the '70s
> though.  Maybe they made photo paper more transparent then. ;^)

Jack -

You can expose through the paper, it just takes considerably longer.  There are
ways of stripping the backing of the paper, but if you really don't want to use
film (certainly, the easiest negative type with which to work) I would suggest
looking at half-tone film.  This is relatively cheap and can be developed with
dilute Dektol (I use it in the 1+10 to 1+20 dilution, depending upon the
scene).

Cheers -

george

=====