--- "Gordon J. Holtslander" <hol...@duke.usask.ca> wrote:
> I'm going to try making some zoneplates.  I've read about that zoneplates
> require focussing.  None of my cameras pinhole cameras can focus.  Is
> zoneplate focusing necessary in all cases?  Is focusing needed only for
> subjects that are close to the camera?
>
> Does it matter whether a positive or negative image of the zone plate is
> used?  Does the center circle have to be opauque?

Gordon -

Like a pinhole, the Zone Plate would be created for a specific focal length.

The center does need to be opaque, which then dictates the clear/opaque areas
of the surrounding rings.

You can reference the excellent article, The Zone Plate by Chris Patton, at
http://members.home.net/hmpi/Pinhole/Articles/PinholeArticles.htm for more
information.

Cheers -

george