Here's more of the story on water/vinegar stop baths...

Water alone is a good stop bath but it works by diluting the developer,
which takes longer than the acid stop bath's chemical reaction. You need
more agitation to eliminate streaks.

Those spots than stop baths cause are from gas bubbles lodging on film when
the acid level is high.

I have had good luck when mixing 1 part distilled white vinegar with 9 parts
water... less odor plus no developer carryover into the fixer... the fixer
lasts longer and stays cleaner.

When you mix developer & fixer directly, ammonia gas is formed and that has
its own unpleasant side effect.

If you want to add a few drops of bromo thymol blue (BTB) as an indicator it
will turn purple when your home made stop bath becomes neutral and no longer
works.

SPRINT adds vanilla scent to their stop bath but it's too heavy for me...
I'm going to try something like a few drops of wintergreen someday.

pinhole on!
Jim K