Thanks for this very interesting outline, Don.

I have never used Panalure, but I'm surprised that you would get bad fogging
during normal development under safelight, to the point that you need to
develop it in full darkness.  Is this the case whether you use red or
yellow-green safelights?

I experience fogging problems when I process prints using the Lith Printing
process, because of the long processing times (8-10 minutes or above), but
I've solved that by using a low wattage bulb with my safelight and using the
recommended yellow-green safelight for the papers I use.

On a different point, allow me to mention a process which I've used in the
past that is a distant parent of yours.  It goes along the following:
1.  Print and process your print the ususal way.
2.  Go to the nearest laser copy machine and get a negative image from the
copymachine, the size of the final print you want to make.
3.  Apply 3-8 coats of Liquitex Acrylic Matte Medium, letting dry between
coats and applying each coat cross-wise to the previous one.  Fewer coats
will give you a more fragile base while many coats will give you a coarser
base to work with latter.
4.  Soak in warm water and slowly peel the paper from the acrylic base.  The
(negative) image will stick to the base.  The base will look rather milky
when dry.
5.  Use this negative to make a contact print.  If the negative is small
enough (e.g. 4x5), you can put it in your favorite 4x5 enlarger and the
criss-cross texture of the acrylic base will show much more on your print.
If you happen to have an 8x10 enlarger in your darkroom, then all the
better.  The texture will  look as if the print was printed on linen cloth.

Cheers,

Guy