Bill Erickson wrote:

> I'm planning an image of a dark corner in an old building. The
> exposure calculates out to about five days with a paper negative. At
> what exposure time does one begin to run into reciprocity failure with
> paper, and what are the parameters?

Bill,

I wrote a little piec last year entitled "Reciprocity Nightmare" which
may be relevant here and which went as follows (hope it is of help):

"I had a dream...

It was a dark, lonely night and I was out with my 8x10 PH camera.  The
New Moon was further darkened by an incredibly rare simultaneous eclipse

of the sun and the moon.  I could barely see my hands and feet as I
walked to the scene I was about to shoot for that winning picture for
the First International Nocturne Pinhole Exhibition.  Ten times before
leaving I had checked that my film holders were fully loaded with film.

A single word kept swirling in my mind:    r e c i p r o c i t y

I must not fail, I must not fail, I kept repeting to myself in the
darkness of the darkest forest.

Formulas kept poping up in my mind: 10% compound; one-over-the
square-root of the inverse of the sunny-16 times three times the speed
of my film; add twice the diameter of my pinhole divided by the focal
length of my camera to the exposure time estimated for the 3rd f-stop on

my right and multiply the cosinus by the coefficient of uncertainty...
I knew I could do it.  How could I fail with all this simple mathematics

so well spelled out on The list.

Something tryied to grab me in the dark.  I gave it a sharp blow and the

thing went blonk.  Nothing could stop me from winning the top prize of
the Nocturne Pinhole Exhibition at Pinhole Vision.

Finally I reached the scene.  It was a wonderful landscape I had spotted

two days ago after hours of walk in the country side.  I set the camera
on the tripod.  The temperature was a chilling 25 below freezing but I
was well covered for a long wait. With my flashlight, I carefully read
the spotmeter's reading and worked out the reciprocity factor on my
PDA.  258 hours, 64 minutes and 12 seconds... Hmmm...  Add a couple
hours, just to make sure... It was just that simple!

I knew I could do it.  But, rats, I suddenly realized that the final
deadline for submitting the print was tomorrow with an exposure time of
well over 10 days.  I forgot to factor that into my equation...  -:((

Guy Glorieux