Mark,
I really, really like the results.  And I agree, the lens camera could never
provide the feeling of your images.  Its purpose is to come as close as possible
to the 'real' thing!  Funny that they spend so much efforts transforming the
'real thing' so that it looks like 'something else' that is palatable and that
can be easily commercialized...!

I beleive that Chris Peregoy from this list does similar things as you
(rephotographing cutouts with a pinhole).  But then he blows the images up on
transparent lith film and hangs them from the ceiling.  This is the stuff  he
showed at Why Pinhole? in Rochester.
Cheers,

Guy