Hi,

On 06/20/2014 02:00 PM, Jamie Lentin wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2014, Hans de Goede wrote:
>
>> Hi Jamie,
>>
>> I saw your patch-set for the Lenovo Compact Keyboard on the lwn.net
>> kernel page.
>>
>> This spiked my interest as I'm the author of this patch:
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/platform/x86/thinkpad_acpi.c?id=8b9dd4fab26a0f328420cbda0845a325f45bcd92
>>
>> Which adds mapping for the F9 - F12 on the Lenovo *40 series
>> laptops, which have the same weird symbols on F11 and F12 as the
>> Lenovo Compact Keyboard, the ones which you describe as:
>>
>> /* Fn-F11: View open applications (3 boxes) */
>> /* Fn-F12: Open My computer (6 boxes) USB-only */
>>
>> You map these to:
>> KEY_FN_F11
>> KEY_FILE
>>
>> Where as my (already merged into Linus tree) patch maps these to:
>>
>> KEY_SCALE
>> KEY_COMPUTER
>>
>> Which are defined in linux/uapi/input.h as:
>>
>> #define KEY_SCALE               120     /* AL Compiz Scale (Expose) */
>> #define KEY_COMPUTER            157
>>
>> Which I believe maps closes to View open applications (which to me
>> sounds like expose mode) and Open My computer.
>
> Yes, the Function keys look the same:-
> http://www.lenovo.com/images/gallery/1060x596/lenovo-laptop-thinkpad-t440-overhead-keyboard-2.jpg
> https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5467/9092693533_440cfcf311_z.jpg
>
> I went with KEY_FILE on the USB keyboard, since this is what it's mapped to
> on the Bluetooth keyboard, as part of the CONSUMER usage page:-
> http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/hid/hid-input.c#L694

Ah, well if the bluetooth version of the keyboard actually uses a standard
HUT code for that and that maps to KEY_FILE, then I agree that it would
be best to map the "F-12" key to KEY_FILE.

> Personally I've no fondness to what the keys map to, since I remap them to
> how they are labelled on an Thinkpad X230, which is pause/nexttrack. However,
> it seems somewhat silly customising something that appears to be a standard
> mapping.
>
>> Note that on the laptops the keys have their special meaning by
>> default and using Fn turns them back into normal F11 keys, so
>> KEY_FN_F11 seems like a particular bad match as that suggests
>> a key combo which it is not on the laptops.
>
> That's true. It works fine with Fn-ESC but yes, on these keyboards they are
> labelled such that F11 is the Fn-modified version.

Right so lets just go with KEY_SCALE then? If you switch F-11 to
KEY_SCALE in the next version of your patch set, then I'll send
a followup patch for thinkpad-acpi to change F-12 to KEY_FILE, and
then the 2 mappings will be in sync.

Agreed ?

Regards,

Hans