On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Jacek Konieczny <jaj...@jajcus.net> wrote:
> I would rather say it is because of putting another audio server where
> it is not needed at all. ALSA alone does its job well enough nowadays
> (and if it does not, it should be fixed not wrapped with another layer).
> Fortunately things have not gone too far yet and a system without
> PulseAudio can still be set up (there was no such freedom in the dark
> ages of ESD and ARTS).

I'd say alsa has nothing to search in the userspace and should just
expose hardware. It should not try to provide smart mixing, store
per-application volume or decide which channels to mute when a voip
connection is established. That's pulseaudio's work.

> This /sbin/init things are not that easy. We will always need some init
> daemon… though I still won't chose an implementation only basing on the
> fact that the idea is great. It must work and be maintained (or at least
> stable as SysVinit) too.

Notice I only mentioned systemd as "by the way". I did not even think
about packaging it at this point in time.

--
Patryk Zawadzki