I saw the bit about GOsa and followed to it's fork, fusiondirectory, which actually seemed rather cool and undiscovered for me. How's yours or anyone's here experience been with it vs. an Active Directory setup? Do you treat them mutually exclusively for lin/win?

I'm curious as I always tend to end up having to keep AD to deal with windoze (and linux, with openlikewise well enough) clients/servers in one form or another, but it'd be great to be able to have a free pluggable replacement for it.

Openlikewise makes AD almost brainless easy to use for account/system (sudoer groups) management with AD, and is free, where generally you'll have an AD setup anyways. The enterprise version of likewise looks way cool, but too expensive for me to deploy at my house to play with first to recommend to an actual client.

I know samba4 was getting there, but been a while since looking at how usable it and/or fusiondirectory might be for managing reasonably current systems like a win7/2008 domain. FD looks quite nice for *nixes if nothing else.

-mb