On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, someone wrote:

> To get spamcannibal to work, I need to replace CentOS 5.6's
> perl-5.8.8 with perl-5.12.1 or better.  How do I get yum update to
> work despite the fact that I'm breaking the perl dependencies?  Can
> I get yum to report the dependencies and then ignore them?  I need
> to know what I thinks is missing so I can cpan2rpm install them...

Michael,

I'm always reluctant to overwrite a core CentOS package like perl. Too
many other utilities have perl tie-ins to make that an easily
maintained solution.

My suggestion: create , e.g., /usr/local/spamcannibal. The build your
own Perl and install it there. The use that perl,
/usr/local/spamcannibal/bin/perl (or whatever), to build and install
the other modules spamcannibal needs to operate.

In your mail configs, use that installation, rather than
/usr/bin/perl, to run things.

Ideally, you'd keep track of everything you did for the build and
codify it in a shell script so it can be repeated if necessary.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinl...@madboa.com <> http://www.madboa.com/