On Mon, 29 Jan 2024, Rich Shepard wrote:

I'm developing a Python script to send email messages. Researching SSL/TLS
on the web suggests that these are used with web applications (along with
HTTPS).

Since I'm sending messages from the command line (or Python script) out
through my local Postfix MTA, are these security layers necessary or needed?

If you're sending via Postfix, no, you don't need them for SMTP stuff.

Postfix itself can be configured to use SSL/TLS, but that's completely separate from what you're trying to accomplish.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com