On Fri, 29 Mar 2024, King Beowulf wrote:

That doesn't look right for Slackware.  Use the default one for 15.0.

1. exit Xfce
2. make sure logged as your normal user, no GUI or X running, and not as
root
3. run "xwmconfig"
4. choose any OTHER desktop, hit OK
5. run "xwmconfig" again, choose Xfce, Ok

Ed,

Ah. my bad. I hadn't considered that xwmconfig changes with the versions. Of
course, it's been a long time since I upgraded to 14.2 and I've forgotten a
lot of details.

to start X and Xfce you simply
$ startx
**** DO NOT RUN startxfce4 DIRECTLY!!!!!!! ****

I don't. startx is an alias in ~/.bash_profile.

Make sure that the new X and Xfce stuff from 15.0 is installed in /etc
and you did NOT copy ANY old settings from 14.2.

Nope. All 15.0.

Much thanks,

Rich