I'm surprised to see that no one has mentioned this on PLUG yet, though
it's been flying around the rest of the tech sphere on the internet pretty
heavily over the last week. I will share it here in case any list member
hasn't seen it yet elsewhere and if anyone is interested in this subject.

The short version is, someone (potentially many someones) attempted to
insert malicious code into the Linux pipeline which would have resulted in
them being able to log in to any system running that code without
authorization. The attempt was caught before it reached any major level of
distribution and stopped, but the fact that it even got that far is
alarming.

Here is a NYT article covering the sequence of events in a pretty
approachable way:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/03/technology/prevent-cyberattack-linux.html

And for those who do not feel motivated to create an account on the NYT
website:

https://archive.ph/tc9bN

Keith's email is broken, so he asked me to pass this along to the list.

-wes