hi!

thank you. could you point me to a documentation related to what im trying to do?

what service(s) should be running on my linux box? (i want to try ubunto. is this a ok?)

thanks!

From: Rafael 'Dido' Sevilla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [plug] NAT queries
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 14:11:57 +0800

On Wed, May 18, 2005 at 01:29:58PM +0800, Joey . wrote:
> hi!
>
> let me try to rephrase and i hope i can make myself clearer.
>
> is it possible to discuss NAT without talking about internet? i just need
> to make LAN A access an application in LAN B.
>
> LAN A (172.22.1.x) is directly connected to Japan via 256kbps leased line.
> this is so because we have an application (not web based) whose database is
> in Japan.
>
> LAN B (192.168.0.x) is our internal private network. LAN A needs to access
> the intranet in LAN B.
>
> is NAT the way to go with this?

That is SO MUCH better.  No, I don't think you need to use NAT in this
case then.  Since the two subnets are totally distinct, then there
should be no problem doing direct routing between them; no need to mess
with NAT and all the complications it creates.  Network address
translation creates a lot of problems by itself, and I would not use it
unless there were no other alternative.  To do this, obviously you'll
need a router that has one interface on LAN A and a second interface on
LAN B. Once the router (which may well be the Linux box you intended to
use as a NAT box), has been set up properly, all you need to do is get
the machines you want to use it for routing to the opposite subnet.
This can be accomplished by adding the appropriate static routes to the
default gateways on each subnet, or by manually adding static routes to
all of the concerned machines (on both subnets! This could be painful!).

This has the added benefit (that you lose with NAT) that all machines on
your network can see one another as though they were on the same
network.  You can connect into machines from Network A from Network B
and vice-versa.  If this is a liability, it is much better and more
flexible to use firewall rules on the gateway.

--
Democracy needs citizens, not consumers. When people are merely consumers of
politics, they are more easily manipulated. And in our time conformism is