On Fri, 8 Jan 2021, Eric House wrote:

I've been using Linode for a few years (since SpiritOne got hijacked)
for an always-on host. It's great. But I'm starting to play with
building OpenWRT and need more disk space and CPU than I have at home
right now. I'd love to fire up a powerful VM for when I'm working on
it and not pay when I'm not -- but not lose the considerable time
invested in setting up and downloading/building 20G of files.

Linode doesn't do this. Who does? My wish list:

* Just raw Debian. I'm happy ssh-ing in, and don't want to learn a
whole new way of interacting with a VM (which is what AWS requires in
my casual experience)
* Powerful VMs available but billed only when running
* Free, or at least really cheap, to leave a configured VM in a
saved-but-not-running state

In the grand and honored tradition of not really answering your question...

Have you considered scripting your installation of packages, configuration, and data rather than having to save your VM? Ansible can handle the first two (packages and configuration) pretty easily, while any accessible git repo or S3 bucket can deal with data installation. That would be my goal: script from scratch, rather than rely on full-system backups.

On to your question:

My understanding is that Google Cloud does not charge computing expenses for a stopped instance, though you're still charged for resources (disk, etc) attached to the instance.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinl...@madboa.com