On Tue, Sep 13, 2022, 13:34 Paul Heinlein <heinl...@madboa.com> wrote:

> Just an FYI:
>
> At work, we use a puppet template to generate /etc/rsyslog.conf on all
> our *nix machines. That template was failing on the first Ubuntu 22.04
> host we tried to integrate with our puppet configs.
>
> In short, certain directives that encountered two spaces between
> directive and setting would fail, e.g.,
>
> $FileOwner  syslog
> $FileGroup  adm
>
> Replacing the two spaces with a single space fixed the problem.
>
> I scoured the changelogs but couldn't find evidence that this is an
> intentional change.
> .

Could this be UTF issue in rsyslog config parser/regexp?

I have been encountering strange invisible simple parsing issues recently.
If this is related, I usually resolve them by replacing [ \t] or \s or \S
with [[:space:]] patterns and it often helps.

I wish to know a way of color coding ascii and unicode in text/logs to make
it visible what is one byte versus multi-byte characters. It will likely
get settled over time.

Hope this helps, Tomas