On Tue, 2009-11-17 at 21:45 -0700, Sasha Pachev wrote:
> MySQL and Postrgres come from two different backgrounds. Postgres was
> created as an academic product, while MySQL was created to solve a
> real-life problem. Thus Posgres is more academically correct, while
> MySQL will deviated from academic correctness to achieve better
> performance and improve user experience. I suppose for a small
> business academic correctness is not as important as actually getting
> the job done.

The features you call academic I call essential. For a short and painful
part of my career, I provided support for proprietary software. While
Monty was still claiming "real developers don't need transactions" I was
using "academic" features like triggers and such to bend the proprietary
software to my will.

MySQL has its current market share largely because of superior spin, not
because Postgres was too "academic".

using enough of it." - Chris Maden