jotap_66 wrote:

> I thought that iPeng worked as a passthrough

It does. More or less. That's why what you are seeing is confusing me a
bit.
Have you enabled the Equalizer for iPeng Playback?

Here's the thing: you can't really completely passthrough on iOS, you
don't really have full access to the USB driver.
So you have to play audio through the system audio queue.
iPeng does configure this to the bitrate it's getting, though, and is
sending the PCM audio data as is.

This generally works fine as long as the data is really PCM.
If it's not PCM, but just using PCM as a container while sending
something else, there can be issues as soon as some part of your system
decides that it needs transcoding/bitrate changes. Then your data is no
longer correct.

In your case it looks indeed like iOS for some reason thinks it needs to
transcode the audio data to 44.1/16 or something.

Are you sure the DAC worked with HighRes material on that same iPad?
If yes, please really check the equalizer settings. The equalizer should
not have an effect on the sample rate/word size but you never know.

---
learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox
and
Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
at penguinlovesmusic.com
*New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch*