mrw wrote:
> And, if I recall correctly, the EDO/non-squeezeos version of Squeezeplay
> has another, triode initiated, accommodation for high bit rate streams
> somewhere. I recall pulling portaudio into line with you last year.

Yes, we did.  'It was for high sample rate streams. Limiting the output
threshold to 1 second for 172Khz+ streams.'
(https://github.com/ralph-irving/squeezeplay/commit/3e3d877d756c62870ba962e20de6f360e7878745)

mrw wrote:
> Perhaps it would be a "good thing" for any change to be in Squeezeplay
> rather than the server. But it's all very confusing. Why proxying https
> through LMS should be treated differently is not immediately obvious.
> Perhaps it will become so.

It is very convoluted/confusing and plugins also have the ability to
override the server default bufferThresholds as well.
The problem with squeezeplay changes of this nature is I have no idea
how they will impact the plethora of content users consume, or the
impact on older versions of LMS.
The later could be avoided by forcing the use of a minimum LMS version.

The bufferThreshold might be used to alleviate the startup problems with
BBC sounds along with the current AAC decoder patch we're testing.
I can't be sure it would help as I don't have access to the 320b@48K
streams to test and it would likely depend on what stream format is
selected in the BBC Sounds settings too.

mrw wrote:
> *Edit:* Might it be that, when LMS is proxying, the start up delay is
> explicitly handled by LMS so doesn't need to be handled by the player ?
> Just a thought.
> If so, it may or may not complicate any Squeezeplay change. Or even ease
> matters. It is, perhaps, somewhat player/firmware specific.

Yes it does appear as such. I tried to follow the logic for https in LMS
but gave up for now.  I will ask philippe_44 how the proxied https
streams handle bufferThreshold.

I will apply the AAC decoder patch to the desktop squeezeplay sources
and release new builds to get a better idea of how the changes affect
streaming aac without any server side changes.

Ralphy

*1*-Touch, *5*-Classics, *3*-Booms, *2*-UE Radio
'Squeezebox client builds'
(https://sourceforge.net/projects/lmsclients/files/) 'donations'
(https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_donations&business=LL5P6365KQEXN&lc=CA&item_name=Squeezebox%20client%20builds&currency_code=USD&bn=PP%2dDonationsBF%3abtn_donate_SM%2egif%3aNonHosted)
always appreciated.