I can't speak on behalf of SlimDevices but here's the situation at
present.

SqueezeCentre 7.0 & Squeezenetwork Beta come with an AudioScrobbler
plugin that can scrobble music but not play LastFM.
SlimDevices said (some time ago) that they were working on a LastFM
plugin but there's been no information on this since.
Presumably they decided not to integrate SqueezeScrobbler into the
official release as they wanted to re-design the plugins to work via
SqueezeNetwork (a frequently requested feature).

At this point therefore, the only way to listen to LastFM on a Squeeze
player is with SqueezeScrobbler.
I will continue to support and bug fix SqueezeScrobbler until the
official plugin is available, but new functionality is unlikely.
When the official plugin is released I will decide whether to continue
to support/develop SqueezeScrobbler
(But anyone is welcome to get involved at any point)

I recently changed SqueezeScrobbler such that if it detects the offical
AudioScrobbler plugin is enabled and correctly configured,
SqueezeScrobbler should stop 'scrobbling' (preventing duplicate
submissions) and use the AudioScrobbler accounts in the LastFM radio
section (meaning they only need to be entered once)

The problem you describe has not been reported before and could be
related to this change.
Have you enabled and configured the AudioScrobbler plugin?
Could you check the server log file when this error occurs and look for
any SqueezeScrobbler or LastFM errors?

James