> What happens when the BBC turn off the Real feeds? I guess it all
> breaks?

In theory yes but unlikely in near future as
1. I came across in BBC streaming network standards for audio reference
to the need to provide streams that UK representation (e.g. trade,
diplomatic) abroad can use (i.e. low speed).

2. NPR changes over to Flash and dropped Real from main web but all of
the programming is still available in RealAudio format

The reference to BBC upgrading the Radio internet services in April/May
was for UK only and although details are not available  it looks some
new formats will not be immediately usable by SB (e.g. multistreams) so
ironically even for UK users of SB - RealAudio may be the format of
choice.

My guess is BBC would hope for a natural decrease in usage of live
RealAudio as users migrate to the better quality service.  The main
issue would be "Listen Again" as it may be too hard/costly to maintain
in dual formats.

--
bpa