Hi Gregory,

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008, Gregory Machin wrote:

> Im trying to configure pmacctd to graph traffic passing through the
> public interface of a firewall .. The public interface is connected to
> an adsl router .. they share a dedicated private lan . The firewall's ip
> is 192.168.42.1 and the adsl's ip is 192.168.42.10 , with the firewalls
> default gateway configured to 192.168.42.10
>
> why does pNRG show traffic for 192.168.42.10 and non for 192.168.42.1

Do you have any traffic destined for 192.168.42.1? E.g. if you run
"tcpdump -n -i eth1 dst host 192.168.42.1" does it show anything?

I suspect that almost all your traffic is actually destined to hosts out
on the Internet, especially as you are looking at the external interface.
I would not expect to see any traffic destined for 192.168.42.1 arriving
on the public interface, as your ISP should not be routing such traffic to
your connection.

> I only what to graph all the income (sum of) and outgoing (sum of)
> traffic passing through eth1 / 192.168.42.1
> In short I want to graph the network utalisation of the public
> interface so I can see if the adsl is being maxed out.
> How could I do this ?

You should already have it. Just add up the traffic for each source
address with a SQL SUM/GROUP BY and it will give you total traffic for all
hosts.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.