From: pmacct-discussion [mailto:pmacct-discussion-boun...@pmacct.net] On Behalf
Of Adam Jacob Muller
Sent: Thursday, 21 November 2013 4:05 p.m.
To: pmacct-discussion@pmacct.net
Subject: [pmacct-discussion] nfacctd, ipfix and tee transparent mode

Hi,
I have an interesting issue that I think perhaps results from a perhaps unique
configuration.

I have a very simple nfacctd setup on one box, its goal would be to receive
ipfix data from two sources (Juniper MX) and replicate it out to a few places.

The configuration is -very- simple:
nfacctd_ip:a.b.c.d
nfacctd_port: 2101
plugins: tee[all]
tee_receiver[all]: e.f.g.h:2100
tee_transparent: true

When I turn up the data feed to this source, everything works fine for a few
minutes and then nfacctd will suddenly get into what looks like a loop
internally and start rebroadcasting out the same packets [I think
-- I did not specifically confirm this] (not a single packet, but perhaps the
same group) as quickly as possible. Like, line rate pegging the servers gigabit
uplink.

Some (hopefully) useful data points:

I have another nfacctd instance teeing with an almost identical configuration,
except that the source is NetFlow v5 (Cisco).

tee_transparent has no effect, I prefer it but it still breaks with it off.

Disabling the netflow source does not stop the packets. nfacctd continues to
rebroadcast the same (again, presumably the same) set of packets over and over
again until I kill the process (or ctrl-c, that still works fine).

This seems very unusual, because I assume this would be obvious in testing /
development if things were this badly broken but my configuration is also
exceedingly simple and I don't particularly see where I did (or even could) go
wrong.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer,

-Adam