[please see comments in below]

-----Original Message-----
From: pmacct-discussion [mailto:pmacct-discussion-boun...@pmacct.net] On Behalf
Of Thomas King
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2014 5:25 PM
To: pmacct-discussion@pmacct.net
Subject: [pmacct-discussion] Request for Feedback: Additional Features for
pmacct

Dear all,

we at DE-CIX think about adding new features to pmacct that are needed from our
side. As pmacct is open-source we would like to release our additions as
open-source as well. To assess if our features are of general interest I would
like to discuss our features with you. The questions for us is here: Are the
features we might add be supported by the community?

We are thinking about adding features in the following categories:
- High availability: We would like to enhance pmacct in such a way that if
pmacct dies on one machine another will take over automatically. We assume that
existing open-source tools (e.g., heart-beat) can be combined with pmacct in
order to achieve this.
[ HA is a good idea, especially when this enhance pmacct plays a crucial role,
such as detection of intruders, in data-center.]
- Reconfiguration via API: As we want to use pmacct in a dynamic environment we
want to be able to change the configuration via an API without restarting
pmacct.
[Considering that IT counts on Web UI, I would suggest you to select web-api
that exchange messages in JSON/XML format ]
- Report and statistic engine: We would like to define a set of reports (e.g.,
throughput in bits per seconds pro MAC address or interface) which can be
displayed on a website including fancy looking graphs. This will probably not
be included into pmacct directly instead it will be a standalone tool that
relies on pmacct.
[I noted that there are several pmacct front-end but none of them (maybe due to
my installation failure) work with current pmacct 1.5.  To me, a pmacct
front-end is highly expected. ]
- Notification: If a threshold is met we want to be informed by mail (e.g., the
throughput for an interface reaches a certain level we want to receive a mail).
This will probably not be included into pmacct directly instead it will be a
standalone tool that relies on pmacct.
[You might want to implement a function that 'calls an external executable file
when throughput exceeded'.  And following procedures, such as email or SMS ,
can be done by another program/script]

I am aware that these feature descriptions are somewhat high-level. We already
created a more detailed technical description of what we need to add to pmacct
so that it fits our requirements. We will share this list later but we do not
want to steer the discussion to much in one direction.

Any feedback to our ideas is highly appreciated!

Best regards,
Thomas

--
Dr. Thomas King
Manager Research & Development

DE-CIX Management GmbH | Lindleystraße 12 | 60314 Frankfurt am Main | Germany |
www.de-cix.net Phone +49 69 1730902 87 | Mobile +49 175 1161428 | Fax +49 69
4056 2716 | thomas.k...@de-cix.net Geschaeftsfuehrer Harald A. Summa |
Registergericht AG Koeln HRB 51135