Hi,

I am running a VPN server based on OpenVPN and recently there was
a request to analyse some of the data flows.

So I installed pmacct to do some experimenting. This is on Ubuntu 20.04
with pmacct 1.7.2 from the repository.

The software installed fine and after configuration on the main NIC
I was able to export flows in IPFIX format via nfprobe and look at
the flows using nfdump.

The next step was to configure it on the VPN server's TUN-adapter,
but that caused pmacctd to fail to start, logging:

ERROR ( default/core ): MAC aggregation not available for link type: 12

I have since looked through the archives and the Changelog for newer
versions, but could not find anything relating to this error, other
than some remark suggesting pmacct only supports or supported
real NICs.
I have not been able to test a newer version yet, to see if this has
changed and it may take some time before I will be able to.

Meanwhile, can someone confirm that pmacct does support
TUN interfaces, or not?
And maybe point me to an alternative if it doesn't?
So far I have only found nprobe, which is a commercial alternative.

Thanks,
Erik