> > May I suggest to add one more configuration variable to specify a
> > maximum script running time or a maximum number of files to import in
> > one run ?
>
> Sure, we can do that.  But note the caveat below...
>
> > This way, the first request could import a first batch of files
> > without reaching the timeout, then a subsequent request would import
> > the next batch and so on.
>
> Part of the problem is that it may then be a while before a
> subsequent request imports the next batch.  In fact, it'll take
> $ImportFreq seconds, or possibly forever if $ImportFreq is not
> set.

To me, this is perfectly acceptable and does not require any other
(possibly inelegant) tweak: my hosting company appears to compute the
CPU time used for each domain every minute.  If a domain exceeds its
quota, it is blocked for a few minutes.

In order to avoid using all the shared server resources for my own
imports, I would probably use something like $ImportFreq = 120, with a
maximum run time of 20 seconds (new variable).  It might take a couple
of hours to have all my files imported, but I can live with that, and
nobody will be negatively impacted.

By the way, there is one more action that would ideally complement the
"import"...  ;-)  Guess what ?  action=export.  This would take the
content of the page and copy it as text in an "export" directory.

I have many pages that are quite big and are more easily edited in a
good text editor than in the edit form (especially due to scrolling of
long lines and aligning of tables).  Currently I open the page with
action = edit, copy/paste to my editor, modify it, then copy/paste to
the edit form.

With an action=export, we could export to the export directory, edit,
move to the import directory, and it would be done...

Probably not difficult to implement and likely to help.

Christophe