The Collapse of 09

by Gerald Celente

Save a link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.comSave a
link to this article and return to it at www.savethis.com  Email a link to
this articleEmail a link to this article  Printer-friendly version of this
articlePrinter-friendly version of this article  View a list of the most
popular articles on our siteView a list of the most popular articles on
our site

The "Panic of 08" will be followed by "The Collapse of 09." In 2008, when
the worlds largest financial firms and equity markets crumbled, Wall
Streets woes preoccupied the media.

In 2009, the focus will broaden to include a range of calamities that will
leave no sector unscathed. Next in line is retail, which accounts for some
70 percent of consumer spending, 26 percent of which is holiday sales.

After the numbers are tallied to reveal a dismal retail Christmas, more
big chain bankruptcies will follow. Besides leaving masses unemployed,
defunct retailers will leave behind thousands of empty stores. Who will
rent them? Nobody!

Add to these empties commercial space vacated by defunct financial firms
and an array of troubled businesses, from restaurants to architectural
firms, to high-tech operations, to offset printers, etc., etc. The
inescapable result (that we predicted over a year ago and is only now
being discussed in the business media) is a commercial real estate bust
that will be costlier, wreak greater havoc and prove more intractable than
the residential market decline.

Because most people dont live and shop on Wall Street, the "Panic of 08"
was viewed by Main Street as if from afar  even though many were losing
money. But when commercial real estate crashes, it will hit much closer to
home. The depressive atmosphere of thinly shopped, half-vacant malls will
strike emotional chords and all the senses.

In office buildings, vacant floors and empty cubicles will dampen the
workday spirit of the still-employed; ever-present reminders of laid-off
friends and colleagues and of the fragility of employment.

Abandoned, untended business and industrial parks will highlight the
already mournful scene. In cities studded with soaring towers and new
construction predicated on eternal economic growth, streets lined with
"For Rent/For Sale" signs will complement stilled cranes and uncompleted
buildings.

As retail and commercial real estate collapse, the credit card sector and
all its interrelated processing and back office support businesses will
suffer and be forced to scale back. Hordes of consumers who have been
living off credit cards and racking up debt to the limit will lack the
funds to service their debt much less pay it off, and they will be forced
to default. Given the nearly $3 trillion in consumer debt at risk
(excluding auto and mortgage) an inevitable default snowball will add
momentum to the in-progress Collapse of 09.

While we alone predicted the "Panic of 08" (and even took out the domain
name "Panicof08.com" on 7 November 2007), we are not alone in predicting a
Depression.

The "D" word is being uttered  in some cases by those who have the most to
lose and whose best interests are not served by spreading gloom and doom.
"The world and country are in a depression," said celebrity tycoon Donald
Trump. He then later softened the blow, downgrading it to a "virtual
depression."

"Virtual" to the few who will never have to worry where the next dollar
will come from, it will be painfully real and hardly virtual to the
multitudes who are and will be worrying. The virally proliferating
Greatest Depression is the Trend of Trends for 2009.

Even so, beware! Over the course of free-falling 2009, the word from most
official sources will be "recession," and from the few mainstream trophy
pessimists, "deep recession."

For example, the oft-quoted naysayer, Nouriel Roubini, New York University
professor of economics, forecasts a two-year recession  not Depression. On
the sunnier side of Wall Street, the Federal Reserve predicts the US
economy will contract only through the middle of 2009 and pledged, "In any
event, the Committee agreed to take whatever steps were necessary to
support the recovery."

What "steps"? The Bernanke Two-Step? Adjust interest rates or print more
money? Neither stopped the credit crisis from worsening, the real estate
market from tanking or the stock markets from crashing.

It was Fed finagling, Washington deregulation and Wall Streets compulsive
gambling that created the crisis. To trust or to seriously consider
pronouncements, analyses and predictions made by any of these sources is
an exercise in willful self-deception. Yet, with pensions, IRAs, 401ks,
stocks and mutual funds evaporating, many of those most affected deny
reality and take hope that forecasts made by proven incompetents will
miraculously restore their losses.

Throughout the many years leading up to what we term the "Greatest
Depression," The Trends Research Institute provided copious data and
Globalnomic analysis to support our forecasts of economic upheaval. In the
past year alone, we have provided so much hard evidence (housings starts,
home sales, foreclosures, bankruptcies, bank failures, unemployment
figures, stock indices, leading economic indicators, retail sales, etc.)
that further elaboration should be superfluous.

Those waiting to hear the "D" word from economic experts, talking heads
and TV anchors before taking action will most certainly regret their
indecisiveness.

Absent from the economic scenarios ranging from second quarter recovery,
deep recession and "virtual" depression are the multiplicity of social,
environmental, health, political, emotional/psychological and geopolitical
factors that point beyond just Depression. They point to The Decline and
Fall of Empire America.

Well before Inauguration Day, Barack Obama was cast as the next Franklin
Delano Roosevelt. If he follows in FDRs footsteps, he could freeze
deposits by declaring a "holiday" to stop a run on the banks. While FDIC
insurance may cover deposits, even after banks reopen, withdrawal amounts
may be restricted. (As the Argentine government did in 20012002.)

Authors Note: Suspicious of the soundness of the banking system, I
requested to withdraw a substantial sum from our Key Bank account, leaving
funds sufficient to cover ongoing business operations. First they tried to
dissuade me, then they stonewalled me, and finally they turned openly
hostile.

I was forced to sign a series of documents, including one acknowledging
that since I was carrying a large sum, I could be the target of a robbery.
To enhance that possibility, the teller slammed down the bag of cash on
the counter and publicly announced the sum.

Despite repeated requests in the days preceding my withdrawal to get the
cash in hundreds, they gave it to me in twenties, making for a bag five
times the size and more robber-friendly. When I complained to the bank
manager who had processed the request, the response amounted to "take it
or leave it."

This will not be an isolated event. If you attempt to withdraw a large
chunk of money from your account, negotiate the details in advance and
anticipate possible hassle and obstruction.

Weve heard similar accounts from clients and Trends Journal subscribers
who, over the past several months, tried to close out mutual funds, 401ks
and assorted sinking equities. They were dissuaded, cajoled, belittled and
arm-twisted by brokers desperate to keep their accounts. Many caved in
under the pressure, didnt close them and lost most of what they had.

So, we leave you with a Greatest Depression consideration: How safe is
your money? How sound is your bank? At the end of November, Citigroup,
once Americas largest bank, was on the rocks. Fifty-two thousand employees
were laid off. In just three days, its stock lost more than half its
value. Rumors swirled that Citi was so desperate they were looking to sell
or split up the company.

Is your money deposited in a local bank whose reputation you can bank on?
Are you with a teetering giant or a poorly-managed regional? If either of
the latter, it would be in your best interest to assess the risks.

Take some out if you think there is risk; take it all out if you think
theres high risk. You may consider spreading it around and even banking
abroad  after all, this is the Global Age.

March 22, 2009

Gerald Celente is founder and director of The Trends Research Institute,
author of Trends 2000 and Trend Tracking (Warner Books), and publisher of
The Trends Journal. He has been forecasting trends since 1980, and
recently called The Collapse of 09.

Copyright  2009 Daily Reckoning