Hank Roth, on the InterNUT since 1982
Past (post) Commander Jewish War Veterans
* Cryptologist and Voice Security in the White House
and in the War Room for JCS at the Pentagon
   BIO [with pics] http://inyourface.info/bio/

(Addendum to "Doomsday or Bust" from TheCrypt -
http://inyourface.info/crypt/)

What is the Matter with Strange Matter?

Michio Kaku who is at City College of New York and has a podcast and radio
program called Explorations on WBAI is a theoretical physicist who says
there is nothing to worry about when the LHC is turned back on. As a
qualification of that statement, I wish to remind everyone that opposing
views also exist.

"...the real headline-grabber is
     the claim that the world's most powerful particle-smasher could create
     microscopic black holes that some fear would gobble up the planet..."
(Discovery Website)

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) the SUPER atom-smasher located at the CERN
research center in France and Switzerland will continue the scientific
quest already underway at Fermilab (Illinois) and elsewhere to discover
and identify the Higgs boson (the so-called "god-particle") and search for
supersymmetry (supersymmetric particles) and for proof; that is, evidence
for all those extra dimensions.

The debate continues. And to reiterate my own view as someone who is
definitely interested in science but only has an amateur knowledge of
science; personally I don't care if this thing does "gobble up the planet"
because I don't believe in an anthropic specialness as a great many others
do.

As a human I think whether we survive or not is not so important and the
only significance for me is the fact that I am an animal sharing this
planet with other animals and I feel some sadness for other animals who
may cease to exist because of us - (and have already).

Michio Kaku argues that the creation of a black hole which would swallow
the planet is science fiction. Others, including at least one Nobel
prize winner argues otherwise.

Michio Kaku (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24556999/)
says:

     "About those black holes ...
     The black holes that may (or may not) be generated by the Large Hadron
     Collider would have theoretical rather than practical applications."
     (Kaku-MSNBC)

     "If the colliders detectors turn up evidence of black holes, that
     would suggest that gravity is stronger on a subatomic scale than it is
     on the distance scales scientists have been able to measure so far.
     That, in turn, would support the weird idea that we live in a 10- or
     11-dimensional universe, with some of the dimensions rolled up so
     tightly that they can't be perceived." (Kaku-MSNBC)

     "It will be extremely exciting if the LHC did produce black holes,"
     CERN theoretical physicist John Ellis said.  "OK, so some people are
     going to say, 'Black holes? Those big things eating up stars?' No.
     These are microscopic, tiny little black holes.  And they're extremely
     unstable.  They would disappear almost as soon as they were produced."
     (MSNBC - see above link)

     "Not everyone is convinced that the black holes would disappear. "It
     doesn't have to be that way," said Walter Wagner, a former radiation
     safety officer with a law degree who is one of the plaintiffs in the
     federal lawsuit. Despite a series of reassuring scientific studies,
     Wagner and others insist that the black holes might not fizzle out,
     and they fear that the mini-singularities produced by the Large Hadron
     Collider will fall to the center of the earth, grow larger and swallow
     more and more of Earth's matter." (MSNBC)

     "Ellis, Kaku and a host of other physicists point out that cosmic rays
     in space are far more energetic than the collisions produced in the
     Large Hadron Collider, and do not produce the kinds of persistent
     black holes claimed by the critics. In the most recent report, CERN
     scientists rule out the globe-gobbling black holes and the other
     nightmares enumerated in the lawsuit, even under the most outlandish
     scenarios. Wagner remains unconvinced, however." (MSNBC)

     "I don't think the knowledge we are going to acquire by doing such an
     experiment outweighs the risk that we are taking, if we can't quantify
     that risk. ... We need to obtain other evidence," he said.
     (ibid-MSNBC)

--- SEE Boon or doom? Collider stirs debate - LHC- msnbc.com

How About Strangelets?

The Blogger-Commander-In-Chief at thebiglife.wordpress.com writes:
(http://thebiglife.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/3-doomsday-scenarios
-involving-the-large-hadron-collider/)

"Gobbled by Strangelets. Strangelet, such a happy term, right? It's
short for "strange nugget," and, well, there's nothing happy about it.
A strangelet is a bit of strange matter, (yes, I'm still not making
that up!) that, upon contact with normal earth matter, turns the earth
matter into strange matter itself. Imagine if this strangelet was
stabilized, and, well, started turning the nuclei of nearby earth
matter into strange matter -- imagine this going on a thousand times
over, at a speed that can only match the number of earth matter that
comes into contact with the strangelet that's growing. Bam! Instantly
the earth will become nothing more than a huge ball of strange matter.
Or, alternate scenario, since strangelets are anti-matter candidates,
they may just blow up upon contact with Earth." (thebiglife)

"Devoured by a microscopic black hole. They say that a black hole
evaporates in time because of Hawking radiation -- and, well, say, for
your normal average sized-black hole, it will take lifetimes before
you ever see it happen. But a small, teensy, tiny microscopic black
hole? If, say, they do make a black hole in the facility -- it might
not disappear -- and since black holes are of such high density,
placed on the earth's surface, it'll slice it's way to the earth's
core like a hot knife through butter, after which, it'll oscillate
back, over and over, until it has consumed enough matter to slow down.
By that time, the earth might be gone, by the way." (ibid-thebiglife)

Science writer Alan Boyle (winner of the AAAS Science Journalism Award,
the NASW Science-in-Society Award and other honors; a contributor to "A
Field Guide for Science Writers"; and a member of the board of the Council
for the Advancement of Science Writing is the science editor for MSNBC
where he writes the COSMIC LOG.