On 07/27/2011 07:58 AM, Marc Green wrote:

     > I am happy to announce that I have made much progress on porting
     > Pod::Checker this week. I have made a list of all the errors that
     > Pod::Simple already checks for, and by comparing that to what
    Pod::Checker
     > additionally checks for, I can efficiently implement the rest. So
    that is
     > what I have been doing. There is a minor snag in one of the error
    checks,
     > the one that warns if there is any text after a =pod directive,
    because
     > Pod::Simple does not offer any way to access said text. To
    overcome this I
     > am adding such a feature to Pod::Simple::Blackbox, so I should resume
     > porting the error checks shortly.

    When I looked at this before I found there tended to be significant
    disagreement over whether the Pod::Checker checks were actually good
    checks that ought to be included in Pod::Simple.

    I know this is opening a huge can of worms but I'd be interested if you
    could post the list of checks you're adding to Pod::Simple.

    Michael

I am not adding checks to Pod::Simple, I was advised that would be a bad
idea (and harder to do). Rather, I am rewriting Pod::Checker to have
Pod::Simple as a superclass instead of Pod::Parser, and in doing so I
need to rewrite the checks *within Pod::Checker* using Pod::Simple.

Rereading my email I realize my ambiguity, but I hope I have now cleared
up any confusion. If not, let me know.

Also, if you still want to see what error checks I am rewriting, they
are available at
https://github.com/marcgreen/perl-pod-checker/tree/edit-bb/cpan/Pod-Parser.
There are three files: ps-errors, pc-errors, and pc-errors-todo. The
first is a list of what Pod::Simple checks for, the second is what
Pod::Checker checks for, and the third is a list of the checks I have
left to rewrite.

Thanks for your concern,
Marc

Here are a couple of pod checker errors that are in error, AFAICT

One is that it warns on any E<> above 255 as being out of range. I think this is plain wrong, as people do this and it works. Perhaps there are some circumstances when it is wrong, I don't know.

The other is that it warns that use of a link to a man page with a section number is deprecated. We have discussed that on this list before, and as I remember it, the consensus was it should not be deprecated.