On 05/08/2018 09:57 PM, Dan Book wrote:
On Tue, May 8, 2018 at 11:32 PM, Karl Williamson <pub...@khwilliamson.com <mailto:pub...@khwilliamson.com>> wrote:

    There is code in Pod::Simple that "tolerates" (meaning accepts as a
    bullet item) this pod line that would normally be illegal by
    perlpodspec.

    I wonder if anyone is around who remembers why this was added.  I
    didn't see details in an internet search

I don't think it's illegal by perlpodspec. perlpodspec allows "=item [text]" where text is not a * followed by spaces, but it doesn't say anything about * followed by spaces and then other words.

My reading of that is that this should be treated as

=item text

which of course is legal, but the * would be output as a star and not translated into a bullet, and that is what happens here.

If I had known about this earlier, I would have used it in pods to make it look better. So maybe the spec could be changed to specifically allow this. Or are there commonly used implementations that don't support it?