On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 08:43:08AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Does anyone want to make an argument for keeping this in the spec?  If
> not, I'm going to submit a PR to Perl to remove this whole bullet point.
> (The note about including errors as comments is not wrong, but I don't
> think it needs to be said in the specification document and it's mostly
> covered by the next bullet point anyway.)

I think that it is annoying for the reason mentionned of leading to
differences in generated files for no good reason.  As an anecdotal
evidence in favor of removing the requirement, in the GNU Texinfo build
system we generate a man page (for pod2texi) using pod2man and we remove
the versions in the "Automatically generated by Pod::Man ..." line.

--
Pat