This tunnel will act as a front end to a SMTP server, where I can monitor
connections, etc.

This is fairly easy to do in POE, but I have to "spoof" the connection that
the POE server will make to the actual SMTP server so that the whitelist
and blacklist functions work correctly. I.e. if I just connect to the smtp
server from my POE server (when the actual smtp client connects) then the
IP address will always be localhost or one of the physical IP addresses.

Is there a way I can make the connection to the actual SMTP server (which
would be on the same physical box as where the POE solution will be
running) look like it's coming from the actual smtp client's IP address?

Thanks for any help.