On Aug 14, 2012, at 04:41, Derek Mead wrote:

> So now for the questions:
>
>   - Is POE a sensible choice for me to re-implement this server,
>   particularly if it will have to run reliably under Windows? The main
>   interactions with the OS will be handling TCP sockets: I don't anticipate
>   having to have to do any explicit threading, process-forking or signal
>   handling, which should reduce the risks associated with possible flakiness
>   under Windows.

Yes.  My workplace uses POE on Windows.  Win32::Process and sockets have been a
more reliable alternative to dynamic iThreads.  It may also help work around
handle-count limitations we've seen in select(), if you're using TCP sockets.

UDP is another alternative.  Without connections, a server can multiplex an
arbitrary number of clients on a single socket handle.  You'd need to build
reliability into the application-level protocol, which complicates things in
other ways.

>   - What forum would you recommend me to use when I have to seek help or
>   advice on the POE-specific aspects of the code?

This mailing list is good for long-form questions and answers.  It's also a
good way to work around time zone differences.  irc.perl.org #poe is good for
shorter, less formal, more real-time interaction.

--
Rocco Caputo <rcap...@pobox.com>