Hi Ryan,

You could try outputting to the OpenOffice XML format (documented at
http://xml.openoffice.org).
OpenOffice can already open MS Word files, so you could use it to
visually check the results of your output against what OpenOffice
imports. The Word Filter in OpenOffice covers nearly all of the MS Word
features.
Be aware though that the OpenOffice XML format is more complex than docbook.

Mike