Hi,

I would rather not mess with jacob and other Java-COM bridges.

Here is a simpler approach:

We can't call COM directly from Java but we can write a simple VBA to automate
testing and run it using Runtime.exec.

Consider an example.

Create a simple VBA script and save it in vbtest.vbs.

Set pptApp = CreateObject("PowerPoint.Application")
Set ppt = pptApp.Presentations.Add
ppt.SaveAs "D:\temp\vba.ppt"
ppt.Close
Set ppt = Nothing
pptApp.Quit
Set pptApp = Nothing

Run the script in java:

Runtime.getRuntime().exec("cscript vbtest.vbs");

Of course you need to read stoud and stderr to see what's happening but I think
you have the idea.

I checked and it does work on Windows.

Does anybody know if OpenOffice for Linux and Office for MAC can be automated
in this way?
I think they should but can't check it.

The problem is how to watch the results. I'm not sure we can create 100%
automated VBA framework for testing.
Normally the VB script interpreter prints messages in stdout and stderr.
In case of fatal errors the application window (Word, PowerPoint or Excel) can
stay alive and you have to
manually kill it.
If I have time I will post a real VBA test case a bit later.

Regards,
Yegor KOzlov