POI is only for MS-Document formats. To read ODF-Files you should use the OO-API which can be accessed from many different languages.

An example how to convert OpenOfficeDocuments to other formats can be found here:
http://codesnippets.services.openoffice.org/Office/Office.ConvertDocuments.snip

If you have problems the following resources might help you:
- http://api.openoffice.org/
- http://api.openoffice.org/DevelopersGuide/DevelopersGuide.html

There's also a new project announced which provides a very thin ODF-API but it is in the very early stages:
- http://odftoolkit.openoffice.org/

And I'm working myself on a Java-API but I'm concentrating on Calc:
- http://publicsvn.bestsolution.at/repos/java/officefs/trunk/

Tom

Rupanu Ranjaneswar schrieb:
Hello everyone,
I am new to POI and I am able to successfully read MS
format files.But now I want to convert openoffice
documents to txt files(read and write).I tried on .odt
but could not.Can anyone help with that?