Some time ago, this website caused a stir with accusations of Polish
"democide" against ethnic Germans following WWII. The author, a professor at
University of Hawaii, revised his website. Below is my response to this
revision.
--John Radzilowski

Dear Dr. Rummel:

Thank you for your note on the additions you have made to the Democide web
page (http://www2.hawaii.edu/~rummel/SOD.CHAP7.ADDENDA.HTM#S5) regarding the
deportation of Germans from the so-called Recovered Territories of Poland.
I'm going to comment on this at some length, but first I want you to know
that I'm also forwarding this message to an e-mail discussion list, the
editors of two publications, and Canadian Polish Congress (all listed below).
Your website was mentioned in or discussed by all of them.

1. Regarding the responses you received from Poles or members of the Polish
community in North America, which you characterize as "irate" or "fuck you
messages," I receive many such messages (as well as letters and phone calls)
on a variety of topics from a variety people, Polish or not. Although there
is no excuse for such rudeness (and I did warn several individuals to be
respectful if they did contact you), to characterize or highlight such
further understanding of this important issue. Also, one would hope that in
presenting scholarly materials to the public, that scholars would choose to
deal with the serious responses only. There is, as you have learned, a great
deal of resentment and anger among many Poles in North America regarding the
way they and their history are treated by American academics. Although the
forms this resentment takes are often not legitimate, the basis of the
resentment is real. It is very tiresome to be subject to endless
pontificating from certain segments of the academy who have little knowledge
of a complex past and a very old culture and simply no acquaintance
whatsoever with elementary source materials. This is particularly the case
when the genocide committed against the Poles in the past century is
systematically ignored. The basis and origins of this problem I leave for
another day. Even though I do not agree with all of your conclusions, I do
appreciate very much that you have made a serious attempt to understand the
problem. Fair and even-handed consideration of all the evidence is all we
really ask. Your effort to do so in this case sets you apart from the pack.
Nevertheless, given Poland's history and nature of things, accusing the Poles
of genocide or democide against the Germans is going to be seen by many as a
fundamental attack on the right of Poland to exist as a nation within its
present borders. This view is not entirely without foundation.

2. Regarding the number of deaths, the West German figure is 1.225 million
and for the sake of consistency, I'll assume this as baseline (I am unclear
as to the criteria you use to prefer the higher number). Although this number
may be plausible as a starting point, the way it is reached continues to
trouble me. (Polish readers might look at Marion Frantzioch, "Socjologiczne
aspekty problemu wypedzenia Niemcow," in UTRACONA OJCZYZNA: PRZYMUSOWE
WYSIEDLENIA DEPORTACJE I PRZESIEDLENIA JAKO WSPOLNE DOSWIADCZENIE, Hubert
Orlowski and Andrzej Sakson, eds. (Poznan: Instytut Zachodni, 1997), which is
a collection of papers by Polish, German, and Ukrainian scholars.) First, the
figure refers to all Germans from "eastern Germany," apparently including
those from the Kaliningrad territory incorporated directly into the Russian
Federation, a territory that was never under the jurisdiction of "People's
Poland" (PPR). Thus, it seems as if Poles are being held responsible by you
for deaths that occurred in the USSR. Second, your site notes that the
figures include "Germans [who] died in Germany from what happened to them
during the expulsion." What troubles me here is not that these deaths are
counted, but that 1) this criteria is not applied across the board to other
democide/genocide cases (e.g., how many survivors of Nazi or Soviet
internment died of chronic health problems after the fact?), and 2) there is
no firm criteria for who should or should not be included. For example, if a
victim of illegal Nazi medical experiments dies 20 years after the war, is
this death included in the total of Nazi carnage? Why 20 years, for example,
and not 15 or 25 or no time limit at all? What about survivors who suffer
mental illness and commit suicide later? In short, where does one draw the
line? Thanks to the efficiency and political motives of the German
authorities, they did count these cases and they are certainly right to do
so, but it opens a large can of worms and unless the same criteria is applied
across the board to other cases, the net effect is to inflate the numbers in
this case alone.

While I'm on the subject of numbers, I also have to take some exception to
the citation of numbers for pre-war ethnic populations in eastern Germany.
The German statistics for the non-German population in these areas are
clearly wrong, but this is an exceedingly slippery matter. As an ethnic
historian, I resist efforts to place people of borderland regions in
simplistic, reductive categories such as "Pole vs. German." Operationally,
many people were both under different circumstances. More to the point,
however, they also need to be described as Silesians, Pomeranians, and
Mazurs--that is as members of distinct sub groups with their own mixed
dialects and cultural traits. Although the war and its aftermath may have
forced them to choose one category or the other, we need not acquiesce to the
logic of totalitarianism by reading their post-war identities backward onto
their pre-war identities.

3. There is no question that ethnic Germans under the jurisdiction of the
Polish communist state were mistreated, abused, and killed in the years right
after the war (as were Poles). Nevertheless, there is a key moral question of
whether this state was legitimate and legal. Despite international
recognition, PPR was not a legitimate or legal entity. This does not diminish
the responsibility (individually or collectively) of those who committed
crimes under its auspices, but it seems to me that the acts of a legal
government (such as Nazi Germany) need to be looked at somewhat differently
than those of an illegal government, otherwise we end up in the position that
there is no essential difference between the two. The case of Egon Krenz that
you cite is somewhat misleading since his argument was about his *individual
responsibility* as opposed to the responsibility of East Germans as a group.
No serious person questions that individual Polish officials who committed
crimes under communism should held in some way responsible (although there is
considerable debate over how this should be done). That, however, is not
really the question. The question your website raises is the collective
responsibility of the Poles (or other groups).

4. On the matter of Soviet control in the immediate postwar period, there is
a lot more research that needs to be done as archives continue to open to
researchers. (Also, a point of correction, the struggle between the Communist
government and non-communist resisters continued until 1956, not the late
1940s. Although major resistance forces were defeated by 1948, some continued
the fight until 1956 and there are cases of individuals who held out into the
early 1960s. On this, see Zolnierze wykleci: Antykomunistyczne podziemie
zbrojne po 1944 roku (Warsaw: Oficyna Wydawnicza Volumen and Liga
Republikanska, 1999). I found this section of your site rather confusing.)
However, it does seem fairly certain that direct Soviet control extended down
to the lowest levels of government in Poland first through the NKVD and then
the Polish counterpart, the UB. A crucial point here is the extent to which
military and security arms of the early PPR were staffed by Soviet citizens.
There is simply no way ethnic Poles within the PPR governing structure could
have conducted a policy that was not wholly determined by Moscow, even if
they had had the ability or inclination to resist that policy as individual
members of society. (For a useful local study of the war and its aftermath,
see Marek Jan Chodakiewicz, Accommodation and Resistance: A Polish County
during the Second World War and Its Aftermath (1939-1947), Ph.D. diss. New
York: Columbia, 2000.) Those who were not Soviet citizens were handpicked by
Soviets and a secondary consideration here is that many of those chosen were
ethnic minorities, notably Jews. (This seems to have a systematic policy on
the part of the Soviet--divide et impera--with the additional consideration
that the Soviets saw such underlings expendable once they had done the dirty
work. This is chronicled in the case of the camps for ethnic Germans in John
Sack's interested but overly journalistic book Eye for an Eye. As Sack points
out, many of those chosen to run the camps were themselves survivors of Nazi
concentration camps and were encouraged by the Soviets to take revenge, which
they did.) This same criteria could and should be applied to other countries
that were component parts of the Soviet empire until 1989/90. Some in the
West continue to believe that Soviet-bloc satellites could/did pursue a
policies independent of the USSR. Although countries like Romania did at
times engage in symbolic gestures of "independence," the governments were
little more than local jailors for a distant warden. To say "Poland is
responsible," is to confuse a nation with a regime on at least some level.
While one may hypothetically imagine a non-communist Polish government
undertaking similar actions and there was certainly a desire on the part of
many Poles to take revenge for German Nazi crimes, this is pure supposition.
A democratically elected government that represented the real will of the
nation might also have done things very differently.

5. The case of the ethnic Germans may qualify as "democide" as you have
defined it, but it does not qualify as genocide under the U.N. definition of
the term. This is most obvious in the area of motivation. There is simply no
evidence at this point that I'm aware of that there was a planned,
systematically directed effort to kill the Germans in those areas "in whole
or in part." To lump such cases together with systematically planned
genocides such as the Holocaust or the Khmer Rouge genocide is to ignore or
downplay some very crucial differences. This needs to be made clear.

6. To lay the mass deaths of ethnic Germans completely at Poland's door
ignores the over 800,000 Germans from other countries who died. (See point
7.) It also ignores the link to wartime killing of German civilians in the
east by Soviet troops (1.1 million). The only difference in Poland was that
the "Recovered Territories" contained far more Germans than lived in say,
Yugoslavia. Wasn't the victimization proportional to the number of ethnic
Germans in each country? If so, doesn't that suggest a variable that goes
beyond the confines of Poland?

7. Although it is true that your original site did mention the mass killing
of Poles by Germans and Soviets (though not I think by Ukrainian
nationalists), there is a crucial difference in how you handled these cases.
In the Nazi and Soviet cases, you treat the mass killing of Poles as a subset
of other mega-murders, that is, as part of a larger set of phenomena. By
contrast you treat the Polish-German case as a separate incident. In reality,
the fate of ethnic Germans was first, not merely a Polish-German matter, and
second, part of a larger series of ethnic cleansings, political conflicts,
and population transfers. As it stands, you set the German case part but do
not set the Polish case apart. Why not see the fate of Poles as a single
phenomenon in the same way you treat the fate of Germans? Or vice versa? The
same argument can be made for Jews and Gypsies. One can argue that the Khmer
Rouge case stands alone, but to treat the Polish case in the same way seems
to be stretching it to say the least. The net effect is to de-emphasize the
killing of 3 million and over-emphasize the death of 1.2 million.

This is as much an issue of definition as anything. By setting this case in
its own separate category, you elevate and redefine it in a way that is not
entirely accurate. There is no question that Poles do share some
responsibility for what happened regardless of prior German crimes against
Poles or communist domination. Nevertheless, to see it as a separate
"democidal phenomenon" unconnected to events that victimized all ethnic
Germans throughout eastern Europe, to the actions of ethnic Germans
themselves, to Soviet and Allied policies (namely mass population transfers),
and to the overall collapse of social and economic order is to distort what
happened.

In summary, your site raises important issues and Poles need to discuss and
respond to them in a thoughtful and serious manner. As I noted above, a great
deal more research needs to be done here. For example, where are the mass of
graves of the ethnic Germans in eastern Poland? Nevertheless, your site also
remains unconvincing for the reasons noted above.
Sincerely, John Radzilowski, Ph.D.

P.S. This page is confusingly titled "Statistics of Poland's Genocide and
Mass Murder," which again is liable to cause a great deal of confusion. Who
is doing the genocide and the mass murder? As noted above it would be quite
difficult to construe the case of the ethnic Germans as genocide, so this
merely looks like verbal inflation.

Also, the tag line at the bottom of the page reads "Democracy (Freedom) is a
Method of Nonviolence--Power Kills." This may be a pretty slogan but it makes
virtually no sense. Democracy can in no way be equated to freedom. Russia and
Haiti are both democracies, though hardly free. The early United States was a
democracy but practiced systematic slavery. Nor is democracy necessarily
non-violent. Many functioning democracies suffer violence, especially around
election time, and many commit violent acts, as the indigenous inhabitants of
the United States found out. The final part of the phrase makes the least
sense of all. Are to we to read this to say that power does not exist in a
democracy or under conditions of freedom? If so, that's easily disproved.
Power may kill but it may also build schools, libraries, parks, hospitals,
and sports stadiums. Power exists as a function of human groups and is
neither inherently good nor bad. As such statements to do not add to the
credibility of the page, I'd suggest removing them.

P.P.S. In regards to Table 2.1A-B, I am curious as to whether you've taken
into account more recent scholarship lowering the number of killed during the
First Crusade in Jerusalem (1099) and during the Inquisition and why mass
killings by Protestant England are ignored. Furthermore, to include the
incidental death by disease of Native Americans after 1492 is highly
questionable. In regards to Poland (2.1B), the Khmelnitsky rebellion that
began in 1648 did not kill merely Jews, but Poles and Ukrainians as well.
This was primarily an action by Cossack rebels, not Poles, although Polish
retaliations were often very brutal (as under Prince Jeremy Wisnowiecki). The
total body count is very uncertain here as is the proportion of dead of
various ethno-religious groups, although it may have been as high as 500,000.
The table states it as "massacres of Jews," which is not at all correct. (I'm
afraid Martin Gilbert is an extremely poor source for Polish history.) It is
also curious that while you include dead in Moscow during the Polish
occupation of 1611 (a figure probably drawn out of a hat by nationalist
Russian historians) you ignore the mass killing of Poles (and others) by
Russian invasion and occupation forces in the 17th, 18th, and 19th centuries.
I see killings by Swedish forces during the Deluge of 1656-66 are omitted as
well. I find the stated criteria you use to include or exclude various events
highly confusing as well as the notion of "democide" being separate from war.

cc: Editor, Polonia Today (Chicago); Editor, Tygodnik Polski (Detroit); R.
Tyndorf, CPC; Poland-L listserv.

Odpowiedź listem elektroniczym