---

Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:17:41 -0800
From: Barbara Simons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Declan McCullagh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: a USACM letter on ICANN

Hi, Declan.  We have just sent a letter to ICANN in which we call for
ICANN to scale down its mission and to focus on its core technical
mission.  I've included a press release in Word and plain text.
Regards,
Barbara

The First Society for Computing

Contact: Jeff Grove
   202-659-9711
   [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ACM PUBLIC POLICY EXPERTS EXPRESS CONCERN OVER THE FUTURE
OF INTERNET GOVERNANCE AND POLICY-MAKING

Joins Other Internet Groups in Calling for ICANN to Return to Core Tasks

New York,  April 2, 2002 ? USACM, the U.S. Public Policy Committee of
Association for Computing Machinery, called on the organization
responsible for managing the Internet address system to scale down its
operations and to focus on its core technical mission.  In a letter to
Dr. Vinton G. Cerf, Chairman of the Internet Corporation for Assigned
Names and Numbers (ICANN), and other Board members, USACM urged ICANN to
curtail on-going policy development efforts and to work more closely
with the technical community in performing the technical functions of
its limited mission.

  "We agree with ICANN President M. Stuart Lynn that the Internet needs
effective global coordination in some areas, and that reform is
necessary," said Barbara Simons, Ph.D., co-chair of USACM.  "But ICANN
must scale down its size and scope of operations to focus on its core
function of coordinating Internet resources on a technical level."

  The letter to ICANN's leadership, also signed by USACM co-chair Eugene
Spafford, Ph.D., warned that if ICANN insists on continuing on its
current course of making policy as well as technical decisions, "there
is greater need than ever for at least half of the board members to be
elected representatives of the public."  Recently, ICANN voted to change
its governing structure to eliminate the at-large representative who
represents the public interest.   A copy of the recent USACM letter to
ICANN may be found at: http://www.acm.org/usacm/IG/ICANN_Letter.htm

ABOUT USACM

ACM is a leading society of computer professionals in education,
industry, and government.  The USACM facilitates communication between
computer professionals and policy-makers on issues of concern to the
computing community.  For more information, visit the USACM web site at
http://www.acm.org/usacm.  #   #    #