Subject:        Mark Bilk - please answer the question.
Date:   Sat, 10 Dec 2005 08:03:05 +1100
From:   Gerard Holmgren <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mark Bilk writes

[[The Naudet video of the plane hitting the north
tower is entirely consistent with an aircraft the
size and shape of a 767, recorded under conditions
of low resolution, poor focus, interlacing, and
subsequent MPEG compression. ]]

Mark, will you please answer the question ? Below I
will repeat the question, in order to show people
how Mark tried to doge it. "Entirely consistent" is
not a phrase one normally uses when one can clearly
identify an object from it's visual appearance
alone.

"Look at that beautiful thing which is entirely
consistent with a red rose in full bloom ! "

"Entirely consistent" is a phrase we use when we are
not sure what we are seeing and speculating on what
it might be.

This strongly implies that Mark is using argument b
as defined below in order to come to the conclusion
that it's a large passenger jet. But he's failed to
state it directly. Because I don’t want to be
accused later of misrepresenting his position, it
would be common courtesy to the readers for Mark to
clearly an unequivocally state which argument he is
using, so that an informed debate can proceed. We
can’t very well argue if we are not prepared to say
what out argument is.

If Mark wants to use argument b) as defined below,
that's fine. I'm sure he'll present plenty of
substance in the course of such an argument. But I
would like a clear confirmation that this is indeed
the argument he is using.

Here is the original question I posed, which Mark
failed to answer.

1) The video of the object quite clearly shows from visual
observation alone that it is a large passenger jet.
Argument becomes superfluous because it is a matter of
direct sensory observation, much as distinguishing an
image of a horse from that of an elephant, and if someone
else sees the image differently, there is no rational
process by which the difference of opinion can be
resolved.

Is this Bilk' argument ? If so, perhaps he can explain why
he has spent so much time on explaining why the object
does not look like a large passenger jet ? Resolution,
pixels etc. Ultimately it either looks one or it doesn't.

2) Direct observation of the object is inconclusive. It is
unclear, indistinct, not identifiable from its appearance.
Thus direct visual observation neither confirms nor rebuts
the assertion that it is a large passenger jet. The object
could be plausibly speculated to be any number of objects,
known or unknown. Thus, in order to reach the conclusion
that it is a large passenger jet, one has turned to
evidence of an ancillary nature � eg forensic, witness,
documentation, and in that ancillary evidence has found
strong indications that the object was a large passenger
jet. Since the visual data, although not confirming such
an identification does not actually contradict it, one is
therefore concluding that it' a large passenger jet on
grounds other than the visual appearance of the object.

Is this Bilk's argument ?

Either argument may well be valid, subject to testing
through the debate process, but one cannot simultaneously
argue both positions.

One cannot simultaneously argue poor video resolution as a
reason for it not being visually identifiable as a large
jet, while at the same time claiming that it is visually
identifiable as a large jet.

One or the other.

So if Bilk will specify for us which argument he
subscribes to, then a debate can proceed.

The Naudet video of the plane hitting the north tower is entirely
consistent with an aircraft the size and shape of a 767, recorded
under conditions of low resolution, poor focus, interlacing, and
subsequent MPEG compression.  Also, the hole made in the building
is a very good match for such a plane.  But the video resolution
is far too low to show whether it was a passenger version with
windows or not.

Hopefully in the next month or so I'll have time to publish
refutations of various claims of "no WTC planes" made by the
Webfairy-Holmgren-Haupt group.  At the moment I have some other
things I need to take care of.  In the meantime I recommend
reading Eric Salter's very informative article on the subject:

http://www.questionsquestions.net/WTC/review.html

It would also be instructive for readers to analyze Holmgren's
post below to identify the logical fallacies and propaganda
techniques used in it.

  Mark

http://us.click.yahoo.com/X6CDDD/lzNLAA/cUmLAA/TySplB/TM