The argument quoted about 110 lines below, posted by Gerard
Holmgren, is an example of *sophistry* -- "a deliberately
invalid argument displaying ingenuity in reasoning in the
hope of deceiving someone".

His principal method of deception here is a *false dichotomy*
-- lying to the reader by saying they must select one of only
two choices, both of which lead deceptively to the conclusion
that Holmgren's claim is correct (that a large airplane did not
hit WTC1).  This type of lie is very commonly used to convince
people to believe things against their own interest:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dichotomy

Holmgren's two choices are that either the Naudet WTC1 aircraft
image looks exactly like an airplane the size and shape of a
767, or that it doesn't at all and therefore other evidence is
needed to identify it.

Of course the answer is that the image looks exactly like that
of a large 767-style airplane after that image was passed through
a sequence of distorting agencies --

 1. poorly focussed through a lens that was set for a scene about
    ten feet away,

 2. scanned by a camera that alternately omits odd and even video
    lines on successive fields (interlaced scanning),

 3. and then compressed one or more times with lossy algorithms
    primarily designed to minimize the digital bandwidth of the
        signal, and which therefore throw away or alter small, faint,
        and rapidly moving details that are not visible to a viewer
        watching at full speed at a normal distance from the screen.

Now here is the fundamental method of reasoning that such a
situation requires:  To identify the original object one simply
asks, "What original object image, when passed through this
known set of distorting agencies, ends up looking like the final
(Naudet) image?"

Note that this correct method of reasoning, which is used by all
competent engineers and scientists for interpreting audio, video,
and every other type of physical data, is not either of the two
methods that Gerard Holmgren says are the only possible choices
in his false dichotomy argument.

Here's an example:  If you were wearing green sunglasses and
walking through a zoo, and saw a horse-shaped animal covered in
green and black stripes, would you think it was actually a green
striped animal secretly created by the government?  If you were
Webfairy or Holmgren, always pushing the most bizarre and
unbelievable interpretation of the evidence, then you would.
But if you were an intelligent, sane, and honest person seeking
the truth, you would simply ask yourself, "What object, if seen
through the known distorting agency of the green sunglasses,
would end up looking like a horse with green and black stripes?"
And of course you would conclude that it was an ordinary white
and black striped zebra.

So has anyone applied this method to the Naudet WTC1 aircraft
image?  Yes: Eric Salter, the person who has done far more than
anyone else to debunk the torrent of disinformation constantly
spewed forth by Webfairy and Holmgren, and has therefore been
targeted by them with incessant smear campaigns.  Here is the
Web address of that work:

http://www.questionsquestions.net/WTC/767orwhatzit.html#holmgrenplane

Your browser should position the page so you start reading at a
paragraph beginning with the phrase "Holmgren attempts".  If you
don't see that phrase, do a string search for it (usually by
pressing Control-F).  Salter begins with a picture of a 767 in
the correct orientation (ironically provided by Holmgren), shrinks
it so it has a 20 by 20 pixel resolution to match the aircraft
image in the Naudet video (actually it should have a resolution of
only 10 in the vertical direction because of interlaced scanning),
and shows the result with the usual interpolation performed by
video display programs.

Except for different coloration (the tail of the WTC1 plane was
brightly reflecting the sun), the image is nearly identical to
that in the Naudet video!  All of the "blobs" are in the same
positions!  The wings are more visible, but if half of the 20
scan lines were removed to simulate interlaced video displayed
one field at a time, the wings would be much less visible, and
would appear and disappear in various fields, just as they do
when you watch the video at high magnification in slow motion.

The Subject line of Holmgren's e-mail, "...the question which
so terrified Salter", is part of the Webfairy-Holmgren smear
campaign.  Salter *has* answered Holmgren's deceptive
false-dichotomy question by performing the above analysis, thus
*demonstrating* the correct method and reasoning, which is
neither of Holmgren's two false choices.  And in doing so he has
demonstrated that the Naudet aircraft image *was* produced by
a large 767-style airplane.  (Of course the video contains no
information that can indicate whether it was a passenger, freight,
or military plane of that size and shape, let alone Flight 11
in particular, if that flight even existed on that day.)

As I've explained elsewhere, the motion of entry of the planes
into the towers, and the holes they left, are entirely consistent
with the way large planes would behave in collision with the
tower columns according to the principles of physics.  This
provides confirmation of the analysis of the videos.

  Mark

On Sat, Jan 21, 2006 at 08:35:14PM -0600, Webfairy wrote:
> [...]

Search the archives for political-research at http://www.terazen.com/

Subscribe to the RSS feed for political-research at
http://rss.groups.yahoo.com/group/political-research/rss

Yahoo! Groups Links