This is part of the real story. The poverty is the basis on which the
islamists operate. They built hospitals and create help-networks. This
is no doubt the main reason why people elect them.

I somehow doubt that the ideology that tries to bring democracy to the
ME is prepared to care for the poor masses. There are simply no
approaches for dealing with this in our economic universe. Quite the
opposite. So the compassionate face feels indeed like propaganda.

I commented by the way on CTRL on the Revelation issue. I thought I
sent it, but it never showed up. We know now that the original source
was Jewish, but do we know anything about the text tradition it
belongs in? Could it have been some kind of parody of Eastern
mythology? There seem to have been analogies with other eastern tales.

-b

"Lebanon's lack of wealth is matched by the Palestinians -- three out
of every four Palestinians live below the poverty line. Yet the vast
majority of our giving in the region flows to Israel. This kind of
geopolitical inconsistency and shortsightedness has contributed to the
Arab-Israeli conflict that the Western world seems content to allow to
perpetuate endlessly."

> <http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/07/18/dobbs.july19/index.html>
>
> It is extremely rare to see anyone in the mainstream media address
the points that Lou Dobbs raises in this article -- one is amazed that
Dobbs has been able to survive in this world for as long as he has.
He deserves, like Stephen Walt and John Mearsheimer, to be commended
for his extraordinary courage, and to be given maximum backup and
support.  He's up against the most ruthless and vindictive lobby on
the planet, one which specializes in assassinations, black ops,
blackmail, dirty tricks and similar methods to bully opponents into
submission.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/TISQkA/hOaOAA/yQLSAA/TySplB/TM