Now no doubt, as this article says, officials are going to conclude
Ivans acted alone and close the case.  And that's the last we'll
ever hear of this story in any official capacity.

Dead Army vaccine scientist eyed in anthrax probe
By MATT APUZZO and LARA JAKES JORDAN, Associated Press Writers
16 minutes ago

Federal prosecutors investigating the 2001 anthrax attacks were
planning to indict and seek the death penalty against a top Army
microbiologist in connection with anthrax mailings that killed five
people. The scientist, who was developing a vaccine against the
deadly toxin, committed suicide this week.

The scientist, Bruce E. Ivins, worked for the past 18 years at the
government's biodefense labs at Fort Detrick, Md. For more than a
decade, he worked to develop an anthrax vaccine that was effective
even in cases where different strains of anthrax were mixed, which
made vaccines ineffective, according to federal documents reviewed
by the AP.

U.S. officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the
sensitivity of the ongoing grand jury investigation, said
prosecutors were closing in on Ivins, 62. They were planning an
indictment that would have sought the death penalty for the attacks,
which killed five people, crippled the postal system and traumatized
a nation still reeling from the Sept. 11 attacks.

Authorities were investigating whether Ivins released the anthrax as
a way to test his vaccine, officials said. The Justice Department
has not yet decided whether to close the investigation, officials
said, meaning it's still not certain whether Ivins acted alone or
had help. One official close to the case said that decision was
expected within days.

If the case is closed soon, one official said, that will indicate
that Ivins was the lone suspect.

Ivins was "hounded" by aggressive FBI agents who raided his home
twice, said Dr. W. Russell Byrne, a colleague who worked in the
bacteriology division of the Fort Detrick research facility for 15
years. Byrne said Ivins was forcefully removed from his job by local
police recently because of fears that he had become a danger to
himself or others. The investigation led to Ivins being hospitalized
for depression earlier this month, Byrne said.

He said he does not believe Ivins was behind the anthrax attacks.

Ivins died Tuesday at Frederick Memorial Hospital in Maryland. Tom
Ivins, a brother of the scientist, told The Associated Press that
his other brother, Charles, had told him that Bruce committed
suicide and Tylenol might have been involved. The Los Angeles Times,
which first reported that Ivins was under suspicion, said the
scientist had taken a massive dose of a prescription Tylenol mixed
with codeine.

The Fort Detrick laboratory and its specialized scientists for years
have been at the center of the FBI's investigation of the anthrax
mailings. In late June, the government exonerated a colleague of
Ivins', Steven Hatfill. Hatfill's name has for years had been
associated with the attacks after investigators named him a "person
of interest" in 2002.

Unusual behavior by Ivins was noted at Fort Detrick in the six
months following the anthrax mailings, when he conducted
unauthorized testing for anthrax spores outside containment areas at
the infectious disease research unit where he worked, according to
an internal report. But the focus long stayed on Hatfill.

Ivins was the co-author of numerous anthrax studies, including one
on a treatment for inhalation anthrax published in the July 7 issue
of the journal Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy.

Henry S. Heine, a scientist who had worked with Ivins on inhalation
anthrax research at Fort Detrick, said he and others on their team
have testified before a federal grand jury in Washington that has
been investigating the anthrax mailings for more than a year. He
declined to comment on Ivins' death.

FBI vehicles with tinted windows had watched Ivins' home for a year,
neighbor Natalie Duggan, 16, said.

"They said, 'We're on official business,' " she said.

Tom Ivins said Friday that federal officials working on the anthrax
case questioned him about his brother a year and a half ago. "They
said they were investigating him," he said from Ohio, where he
lives, in a CNN interview.

The government paid Hatfill $5.82 million to settle a lawsuit
contending he was falsely accused and had been made a scapegoat for
the crimes.

"We are not at this time making any official statements or comments
regarding this situation," said Debbie Weierman, a spokeswoman for
the FBI's Washington field office, which is investigating the
anthrax attacks, said Friday.

Five people died and 17 were sickened by anthrax powder in letters
that were mailed to lawmakers' Capitol Hill offices, TV networks in
New York, and tabloid newspaper offices in Florida. Two postal
workers in a Washington mail facility, a New York hospital worker, a
Florida photo editor and an elderly Connecticut woman were killed.

___

Associated Press Writer Dave Dishneau from Hagerstown, Md. and AP
researcher Susan James in New York contributed to this story.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080801/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/anthrax_scienti
st&printer=1;_ylt=Ak.yCxrk_48xpOK_1lLjz0eWwvIE

--- In political-research@yahoogroups.com, Sean McBride
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Bruce Ivins and the 9/11 Anthrax Attacks
>
> Those of us who have argued all along that the 9/11 anthrax
attacks were a false flag op have been fully vindicated. The
mainstream media are being forced by events to admit that this is
the case, without daring to utter the specific words "false flag op."

> So far the stories on Bruce Ivins have reeked of the same bullshit
that surrounded the original stories on the 9/11 anthrax attacks.
Was Ivins murdered to conceal the identity of the real culprit or
culprits? How convenient: unlike Steven Hatfill, Ivins is now unable
to defend himself against the charges in circulation. Ivins can be
used to disseminate any number of lies to muddy the waters.

> The Ivins story is probably part of the cover-up, not part of the
exposure of what really happened with regard to the 9/11 anthrax
attacks.