Sent to you by Sean McBride via Google Reader: Woodward: Bush Doesn’t
Understand Why Iraqis ‘Are Not Appreciative’ Of ‘Liberation’ via Think
Progress by Ben on 9/8/08
Last night on 60 Minutes, host Scott Pelley interviewed Washington Post
reporter Bob Woodward to discuss his new book “The War Within: A Secret
White House History, 2006-2008.” Pelley noted that one part of the
story Woodward tells is President Bush’s “frustration with the attitude
of the Iraqi people”:

WOODWARD: He has a meeting at the Pentagon with a bunch of experts and
he just said, ‘I don’t understand that the Iraqis are not appreciative
of what we’ve done for them,’ namely liberated them.

PELLEY: But tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis have been killed in
the invasion and through the occupation. He didn’t understand why they
might be a little ungrateful about what had occurred to them?

WOODWARD: His beacon is liberation. He thinks we’ve done this
magnificent thing for them. I think he still holds to that position.

Watch it:

Nearly 100,000 Iraqi civilians have lost their lives since 2003 (maybe
more) and around 2 million have either fled the country or are
internally displaced. For many years, ordinary Iraqis have had to deal
with car bombs, suicide bombs, and other routine violence that
ultimately resulted in civil war and the sectarian cleansing of
Baghdad. Why wouldn’t Iraqis be grateful for all that?

Woodward also revealed during the interview that the “secret behind the
success of the surge” was not the U.S. troop build-up but a
“breakthrough” in “secret operational capabilities that have been
developed by the military to locate, target and kill leaders of
al-Qaeda in Iraq, insurgent leaders, renegade militia leaders.”
Woodward would not provide any further details of the secret plan.

Digg It!

Things you can do from here:
- Subscribe to Think Progress using Google Reader
favorite sites